"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Creepy advertising

Memorial Day weekend is fast approaching, and for many people that means outdoor cookouts with hot dogs, burgers, Bar-B-Q, and other typical "American" food. Coincidentally, today's post from blog-buddy Supacoo (whose job has relocated her to Germany for the next two years) features a link to the European discount chain ALDI, and offers an entertaining look at how "American" products (and by extension, Americans themselves) are perceived over in Deutchland. Hot dogs in a jar, anyone?

Here is your typical American Housewife, as presented in the German ad:


I don't know about you, but this woman scares the shit out of me. Look at that evil grin and those demon eyes, not to mention that she's squeezing something out of a tube onto my sandwich that appears to be silicone drain sealant. After I choke to death on it, she's going to cook ME for dinner.

Psycho-Wife joins a long and storied history of advertising models who look like they've just stepped out of a horror movie. For example, this kid is either eating a plate of spaghetti, or it could be brains. I'm not sure.


Next, the look on the little girl's face below seems to indicate that she has apparently forced her mother to chop up the family dog in a meat grinder and spread the bloody offal on a sandwich for her:


Whereas there is absolutely no mistaking that this next child is, indeed, the Daughter of Satan:


Mmmm, human hearts on a plate. Bon appetit!

2 Comments:

  • At 5/21/2008 04:09:00 AM, Blogger SupaCoo said…

    I laughed so hard I cried about your comment on my blog. And btw, these are roasted onions, of course. (I think if the Germans found out about my aversion to onions they'd kick me out of the country immediately.)

    And thanks for the future nightmares of children eating my pate-d brains!

     
  • At 5/21/2008 11:36:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    LMAO...those pictures are priceless.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home