"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Friday, June 06, 2008

A holiday that brings a tear to my eye

Every year in early June, there is a national holiday that fills me with love, pride, and a special wistfulness.

Wait, you thought I meant "Father's Day"? Hell, no! I'm referring to National Donut Day. According to the New York Daily News, today is "a bona fide holiday that’s been observed since 1938 on the first Friday of every June." It was originally established by the Salvation Army to honor the "lassies" of WWI, who made thousands of the tasty treats for homesick soldiers on the battlefields of France (sometimes frying them in a GI helmet filled with cooking grease). That's how they became known as "doughboys".

Rest assured that I will do my patriotic duty today and consume as many donuts as possible. It's the least I can do for my country.

In honor of the occasion, Krispy Kreme is giving away a free donut of your choice, just for the asking. Stop by your local store and do your part as a responsible citizen.

Happy Donut Day!

At last, a holiday that all species can enjoy together.

3 Comments:

  • At 6/06/2008 06:30:00 PM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    No way! I put this on my blog, too! I was unaware of this National Doughnut Day until this morning. Honestly, how did I get this old and not know?

     
  • At 6/07/2008 04:57:00 AM, Blogger SupaCoo said…

    I think one of my favorite sights so far in Germany was this crowded festival we were at a few weeks ago with this stand - An American Original - it said, and not a soul three.

     
  • At 6/08/2008 08:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mmm mmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . .donuts!!!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home