"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Yo, NaBloPoMo! Whatup, mofo?

I'd like to send a special hello to any NaBloPoMo readers that may be dropping by, or hitting this page from the Randomizer.* Welcome to my toasted little corner of cyberspace. Those of you who, like me, are trying to post every single day during the month of November can take some solace in the fact that we're half-way there! Whoo hoo! We can do it you guys, let's not stop now! This sort of reminds me of a dance marathon, or one of those crazy contests that auto dealerships have occasionally where they get a bunch of people to put their hands on a new truck, and the last person still touching the truck gets to drive it home. Fortunately for us, we're allowed to eat, sleep and take occasional bathroom breaks during this particular blogathon, but coming up with a post-a-day is more of a challenge than one might think at first. As I've surfed through the list of participants, I've noticed a reoccurring theme: a few folks who have given up, or just forgot to post one day, or are running out of ideas to post about, are stressing about it. For example, To Whom It May Concern says today, "Dear NaBloPoMo: I'm tired. Can we just stop now?"

I understand this. I think I'm getting close to the bottom of the barrel myself, although I still have a few ideas up my sleeve that I'm saving for down the line. But let's remember, this is supposed to be FUN! We're not going to get a public flogging if we skip a day here and there. I think the point of NaBloPoMo is two-fold: first and most obvious, to get the old creative juices flowing ... but just as important seems to be to widen our blogging circle and make some new friends. So those of you who are new here, please let me invite you to visit some of my "regulars" like April, Janelle, Chandira, Meander, Moose, Schnozz, and Dogma. They'd love to have you stop by and visit; please tell 'em Mr. Toast says "hi".

Also, if you are new to Wind In The Wire and by some incredible stretch of the imagination actually like what you see here, let me suggest professional help. Ha ha! No seriously, for a crash-course review of some of the less boring stuff I've written in the last year, see this post. And come to think of it, the professional help, or at least some serious medication, might not be such a bad idea after all.

Incidentally, is it just me or does anyone else notice that maybe 80-90% of all blogs out there are written by women? What's up with that? Do women, by and large, have more time for extracurricular activities like blogging, or are they able to express themselves better than men? I would enjoy hearing your comments on this alleged phenomenon. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?


____________
*I love the randomizer, BTW ... it's just like Blogger's "next blog" button except that it always pops up something interesting and readable. When I use the Blogger button to browse, it seems that at least half the time I either get some 13-year-old girl whose idea of a cool blog is a dewy, wide-eyed cartoon pixie princess and a tag board with messages like "OMG!!! That's so kewwwwel!!!", or a blog in Spanish, Chinese , or Arabic. Not that I have anything against foreign languages, mind you, I just can't freaking read them. But check out the randomizer if you haven't tried it, I guarantee you'll discover a fresh new, enjoyable read.

3 Comments:

  • At 11/15/2006 03:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't tell you (because I lost track) what circuitous route brought me to your blog, but it is fun and worth visiting again.

    I'm also not sure why women do more blogging. I haven't even seen a thorough exploration of the subject. I'm just glad there are so few 13 year olds.

     
  • At 11/19/2006 06:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I arrived here via a comment of yours on SupaCoo. I think more women are doing NaBloPoMo because it's a group bonding experience-type thing, but to me it feels like once you get away from daily-life-chronicling-type blogs there are at least as many written by men.

     
  • At 11/19/2006 09:17:00 PM, Blogger Bake Town said…

    Maybe it's mostly just women who signed up for NaBloPoMo because we learned about it on Fussy's blog. I'm sure there are just as many male bloggers out there.

    Then again, us women do love to talk.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home