"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Friday, February 10, 2006

Too old to rock & roll?

I'm about to commit blasphemy. I fully expect the furor over the cartoon depiction of Mohammed will pale in comparison to what I'm going to say:

The Rolling Stone's Superbowl performance sucked.

I wanted to be impressed by it, I really did. I've thought they were cool ever since the days when they were the "Dirty Beatles". I have all of their albums, and know all the words to most of their songs. I thought "Stray Cat Blues" was one of the nastiest (and I mean that in a good way) songs I ever heard, and Keith's guitar work on "Midnight Rambler" still gives me goose bumps. But their halftime show in Detroit left me cold; they looked like they were just phoning it in. Granted, this was probably the 23,763rd time Mick and the boys have done "Satisfaction", and it makes sense that they might have lost some of their feel for the tune after so long. Still, with hundreds of millions of national TV viewers plus the 65,000 live fans, this show was their biggest audience ever and I honestly expected more. Ron Wood's guitar parts seemed both out of tune and out of sync. As for Jagger himself, his enthusiasm seemed forced, and he appeared out of breath at times during the set from running all around the huge stage. Yeah I know, you'd like to see any other 62-year old geezer get up there and do any better. Maybe that's the point, though: could it be time for them to hang it up and retire gracefully before they become a parody of themselves? It's not like they have anything left to prove, or need the money; if they never played another note, they (and their families) would still be rich for the rest of their lives. But sooner or later, there will come a time when Mick sings "Start Me Up" that you're going to wonder if he's talking about his libido or his pacemaker, and that's not how I want to remember the legacy of "the world's greatest rock and roll band".

Another thing that detracted from the experience was the NFL's censorship of two of the songs during the 12-minute show. You may have noticed that on "Start Me Up", the last word of the line "you make a dead man come" was snipped. And "Rough Justice" contains this verse: "One time you were my baby chicken, now you've grown into a fox - And once upon a time I was your little rooster, am I just one of your cocks?". Even though "cocks" is a perfectly legitimate term in the rooster context, the censors felt the double-entendre was too much for sensitive family viewers and cut it out.

So overall, I was disappointed by the Stone's mediocre performance on Sunday. Am I the only one who thought this?

3 Comments:

  • At 2/09/2006 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    No. I thought they had lost some of their luster too, and I wasn't turned on by Mick's mid-riff showing shirt either. Maybe something like that on some one in their 30's but definately not him.

     
  • At 2/10/2006 12:10:00 AM, Blogger Neil Shakespeare said…

    I thought Charlie Watts did a good job...for a zombie. He's gotta be dead, doesn't he? What is he? 105? 110? Something like that?

     
  • At 2/10/2006 09:12:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    Boring,boring, boring, that's all I have to say.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home