"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Saturday, November 18, 2006

What disease cannot do

A new blogger friend has recently announced that a close member of her family has been diagnosed with the same illness that I have, Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. They are going through a period of shock and adjustment that I know all too well from my own diagnosis nearly three years ago. So it was perhaps more than mere coincidence that today as I was leafing through various Christmas catalogs, I came across a framed print with an eloquent and inspirational message that I'd like to share:

What Cancer Cannot Do
It cannot cripple love.
It cannot shatter hope.
It cannot corrode faith.
It cannot destroy peace.
It cannot kill friendships.
It cannot suppress memories.
It cannot silence courage.
It cannot invade the soul.
It cannot steal eternal life.
It cannot conquer the Spirit.

Medical research shows without any doubt that a healthy and positive mental outlook can translate into actual physical well-being, and I think these words are applicable to those with any serious illness.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 11/18/2006 01:52:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for the words of inspiration. I've decided that denial and avoidance is not the right tactic anymore. (I know that seems silly, but it hurts a lot less if you don't accept the fact that it's happening.)

    *flipping over a new leaf*

    :)

     
  • At 11/18/2006 08:55:00 PM, Blogger bossann said…

    A great message...and very true. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 11/19/2006 04:27:00 PM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    Thanks for sharing that message with us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home