"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Saturday, January 21, 2006

More photos

Here's a few other shots I've taken so far on our visit:


This is a quieter, less developed part of the Riverwalk. Below is a picture of the place where I had lunch today, and some dining companions who shared my table:




Of course, the waitresses hate these birds because they (the birds) shit all over the tables and they (the waitresses) have to clean it up. I thought they were amusing, though; after all, back home I seldom get the opportunity to share my lunch with friendly vermin.

San Antonio is much more than just the Riverwalk; The Alamo is hallowed ground not only to Texans, but to all Americans for its place in our country's history. The names are those of legends: Crockett, Houston, Travis, Bowie, and more. Tomorrow we may try to get out and visit some of these famous landmarks. It's started getting cooler and rain may be moving in, but I'm still having a grand time. If the weather holds up, I should have more photos to post later.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
-Davy Crockett, Nov. 1835

2 Comments:

  • At 1/22/2006 09:05:00 PM, Blogger April said…

    Cool riverwalk area... but ew about the birds. That is just disgusting. Birds are filthy and icky and I can't believe you fed them with your bare hands... but thats just my opinion, pidgeons are like the rat of the sky... ew...


    Still waiting for my "Mr. Toast" fan club T shirt....

     
  • At 1/22/2006 10:03:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    April, now that you remind me, I remember your comment about the "flying icks". Sorry 'bout that. I should show you pictures of a trip to Colorado several years ago where we encountered a flock of wild birds at a rest area on Slumgullion Pass that had become quite tame due to constant feeding by tourists. They would swoop down from the trees and light on your hands, shoulders, head, etc. to eat out of your hand. I thought it was pretty cool, but I guess you might not have cared much for it, huh? We later learned that they were called Gray Jays (Perisoreus canadensis), a distant cousin of the common Blue jay.

    BTW, if you're not kidding about the T-shirt, click here. This is where mine came from.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home