"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Ack!

My weekend has not been going extremely well. On Friday I started coming down with a cold, and it has hit full-force last night and today. I'm very nervous about this; due to my lung disease, anything that compromises my respiratory condition has the potential to be much more serious for me than the average person. According to my doctors, even a simple cold like this could easily turn into pneumonia, so I need to be very careful. I still have unpleasant memories of last February when a case of the flu put me in the emergency room, unable to breathe. Fortunately though, so far it hasn't been all that bad (he said, knocking on wood), and I'm mostly dealing with the symptoms familiar to anyone with a cold - the coughing, sneezing, runny nose, etc. I've gone through two boxes of Kleenex® in the last 24 hours, so you should thank me if you own stock in Kimberly-Clark.

On a more positive note, staying in bed all day today has given me some time to play with our new Tivo. When I first saw the advertising tag line about the box "changing the way you watch TV" I figured it was just marketing hype, but I've now realized just how true this statement really is. The pause-and-rewind live TV feature is way cool, and once I figured out that I could watch one program while recording another by putting the unit in "standby", it removed the only objection I had to how Tivo worked. It's been interesting to turn it on each day to discover what little fusternuts of entertainment it's recorded for us (deciding what we might like based on our viewing habits and thumb ratings), although its suggestions have occasionally been rather bizarre: today, for example, it speculated that we might enjoy watching something called "Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi". WTF?? Either the box has a major malfunction, or our viewing patterns match that of a 13-year old girl. I find this very disturbing.

Well, I guess I'll go snort some more Nyquil and crawl back under the covers. Oh, and one other good thing to mention: Kittycat came back yesterday, so evidently he's forgiven me for turning him into a eunuch. (Or, more likely, he's simply forgotten.) He's quite a bit more skittish than before, so some ground has been lost in the domestication process, but at least he's still hanging around the House.

Which is more than can be said for Tom DeLay, heh heh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home