"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Monday, October 01, 2007

Mmmmm, Spicy!

Lucky me -- I have been randomly selected to be allowed to purchase up to six tickets to see the Spice Girls in concert this coming December 5th and/or 7th at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Wowie zowie!

I'm not certain how I was chosen for this honor, other than I vaguely remember submitting my email address at some website in the chance of winning free tickets to something or other. It might have been the Spice Girls, I don't know. I get bored sometimes and sign up for a lot of strange crap.

But in any case, according to the message I received:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

We are so excited to be able to tell you that your registration for a chance to buy tickets to see us live in LOS ANGELES has been SUCCESSFUL!

There have been millions of applications for tickets from ALL over the world, but you can use the special details below to try to buy your tickets!

Use the link below, and you can buy up to 6 tickets to see us live!

But hurry, ticket numbers are very limited indeed!
The message was signed, "Lots of love, Emma, Geri, Mel B, Melanie C and Victoria xxxxx" and contained an exclusive code allowing me to access the Ticketmaster site selling tickets for their worldwide reunion tour.

Just for fun, I checked out how much this rare privilege would cost me: at $119.50 plus a $13.50 "convenience charge" per ticket, plus $14.50 delivery and $25.00 parking, it comes to a total of $305.50 for Mrs. Toast and I to enjoy an evening of spicy entertainment. Throw in airfare to L.A., ground transportation, meals and hotel and we're easily looking at close to a grand. I'm not sure I'd be willing to spend a thousand bucks to see a returned-from-the-dead Elvis in concert.

Apparently however, for reasons which I fail to understand, demand for these tickets is very high; more than one million people registered for their December 15th London show, which sold out in just 38 seconds today after tickets became available, and Girl Power fans are snapping up tickets for the U.S. dates like hotcakes as well. Since the chances that we will be attending this event are somewhere between slim and none (and being the magnanimous sort of fellow I am), I will be more than happy to send my authorization code to purchase tickets to whomever requests it first. I won't even charge you a convenience fee.

Anyone interested? Just email me at mrtoast(at)suddenlink(dot)net if you really really really wanna zigazig ha.

5 Comments:

  • At 10/02/2007 06:17:00 AM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    Oh, you lucky devil. I, too, was surprised by the apparently overwhelming response to this reunion tour. Are people genuinely jazzed about this, or are they hoping to witness a trainwreck? I'm unclear. And baffled.

    *Sad note: I have Spice World on VHS.

     
  • At 10/02/2007 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    Yes indeed, I live a charmed life.

    My overwhelming reaction is "WTF??" I mean, these are the Spice Girls we're talking about here people, a "band" -- and I use the word loosely -- so uncool they're cool again. (Still, I'll bet they dance better than Britney.)

    I very briefly considered buying my six allotted tickets and then trying to flip them on eBay. The London show is fetching bids of up to $2000, but after all, this is the same country that gave us Benny Hill and Herman's Hermits, so go figure. With my luck I'd get burned; there seems to be a bit of a backlash building about the high ticket prices. So far I have not had ONE SINGLE REQUEST for my coveted "invitation code", which tells you something right there.

     
  • At 10/02/2007 02:31:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Who would seriously pay to see the Spice Girls when America now has The Pussycat Dolls??? Anyway....

    There was a rumor going around here that The Onion posted something about North Dakota harboring nuclear weapons. I know you are a follower of The Onion so I thought I would ask if you heard about it.

    p.s. - Sphincter, you are very brave admitting your "sad note."

     
  • At 10/03/2007 09:46:00 PM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    Thanks, Janelle. I've learned to let the shame go.

     
  • At 10/12/2007 11:34:00 AM, Blogger Chandira said…

    I was appalled. I mean, you'd expect that for the Zeppelin reunion, but the Spice Girls???
    What's with all these 80's/90's crappy girl/boy band reunions lately? Arghh.

    I never order tickets from Ticketbastard. On principle. I once almost bought tickets to see Henry Rollins, for $20 each, but you ended up paying over $60. "Buy 2 for the price of 3" didn't seem like a fair deal to me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home