"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Shiver me timbers

My apologies for the lack of postage recently ... have been in somewhat of a creative slump of late, which hopefully will be improving soon. In the meantime, I'm taking some time today to celebrate International Talk Like A Pirate Day, a fun holiday where one tries to use as may Pirate phrases as possible during normal conversation. I mean, how many times have you wanted to tell your boss or a co-worker to "Avast, landlubber and walk the plank, ye scurvy dog!!"? Well today you can, with no consequences. The day has even been adopted by the Long John Silver's restaurant chain, who have been talking like Pirates since way back in 1969.

Here's a few other general-purpose Pirate phrases you can use today:

• "Well I'll be hornswaggled!"
• "Hoist the Jolly Roger, matey!"
• "Yo ho ho and a bottle o' rum!"
• "Aye, me barnacle-covered bucko!"
• "Hang 'im from the yardarm!"

If all else fails, try this handy translator. Or see another at this site. In any case, today's the day to plan on some serious pillagin', plunderin' and consumin' o' the rum!

Arrrrrr!

3 Comments:

  • At 9/19/2006 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Arrr, hey thar mate. Thanks for the information on Pirate Day. I didn't e'en know that this day existed. Gar, Where can I find a bottle o'rum?

    Ahoy, party Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!

     
  • At 9/19/2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger Chandira said…

    Yarr MAtey!

    After all my pirate talk recently I forgot Talk Like A Pirate Day on the actual day! Bless me barnacles.

     
  • At 9/23/2006 03:26:00 PM, Blogger bossann said…

    Blimey, the Parrot Head Pub Crawl should have been on Tuesday, shiver me timbers! Aye, oh, well, tonight I'll pretend that tis' talk like a pirate day, argh. Yo, ho, ho and let’s drink a bottle of rum whilst dancin’ t’ A Pirate Looks at 40, gar!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home