"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

He sees you when you're sleeping

A few "Snoopgate" developments in the last 48 hours:
  • The Washington Times, a far-right newspaper that usually sides with the President, says Bush "presents a clear and present danger to the rule of law" and "cannot be trusted to conduct the war".
  • In a scathing report, this Newsweek article by Jonathan Alter tells that Bush summoned the publisher of the NYT to the Oval Office to try and kill the eavesdropping story - not in the interests of national security, but because it would "reveal him as a law-breaker".
  • If even über-conservative George Will is saying Bush blew it, you know Dubya's in real trouble.
  • A federal judge who oversees government surveillance in intelligence cases has resigned in protest, saying Bush's order "tainted" the work of the secret panel. More details here.
  • The White House claim that only those suspected of international ties to al-Qaeda were targets of the unwarranted wiretaps doesn't hold water. According to the New York Times, the investigations "involved, at least indirectly, groups active in causes as diverse as the environment, animal cruelty and poverty relief".

The shit's hitting the fan big-time, folks.

4 Comments:

  • At 12/21/2005 08:10:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Face it, Bush is just terrible. I hate to admit that I voted for him in the last election because I thought he would have been better than Kerry. Now I hate myself for voting for him. My husband complains about dubya all the time but he didn't vote so I told him that I am the only one that can bitch.

    I would love to buy the T-shirt and bumper sticker.

     
  • At 12/21/2005 11:06:00 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts...

     
  • At 12/22/2005 10:54:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    During the run-up to the last election, I wanted to put a sign out in front of our house that read "Support Our Troops - Vote Bush Out" but decided that someone would probably torch the place if we did. It's tough being Blue in a Red state, and the most frustrating thing to me is the lack of any seriously viable alternative. I don't know that Kerry could have done any better. If you're so inclined, though, you can find the bumper stickers and other Anti-BushWare here.

     
  • At 12/22/2005 11:27:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    PS: I found the "Bush spied on me" tee at Americablog (link on my main page), but you can go straight to the custom T-shirt design shop here. Great site, even if a little on the expensive side.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home