"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Monday, October 24, 2005

Hangin' in "Big H"

Something a little different for the post today, as I'm in somewhat of a subdued mood and not feeling up to my usual sarcastic self. :^) Monday night finds me in Houston, with plans for an early visit with my transplant team at Methodist Hospital tomorrow morning. They're supposed to give me yet even more pulmonary function tests ... groan. But I'm hoping the last hurdles to being placed on the organ recipient list will be removed after this. It was hard getting a hotel room due to the world series game being played here tomorrow. I guess I should be excited for the Astros (after all, I did live in Houston for nearly 15 years) but I can't say I'm too thrilled about it one way or the other - never have been much of a sports nut. Anyway, here's the view from my hotel room balcony:


Pretty damn scenic, ain't it? That's the lovely Southwest Freeway in the foreground, with the Galleria area behind it. The rather erect tall building on the right is the Williams Tower (formerly called the Transco Tower when I lived here), and is still better known by locals as the "Giant Phallus of The Galleria". It's always been one of my favorite architectural features of the city; I recall many a pleasant spring Sunday afternoon spent in the park-like setting of the building's grounds and waterwall. One of the downsides of Houston has always been the horrendous traffic jams, and this trip has been even worse than I remembered it - no doubt due to all the baseball fans in town. I'm looking forward to getting back home tomorrow evening.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10/25/2005 11:02:00 AM, Blogger Janelle said…

    I hope that all goes very well for you and that if you are placed on a waiting for a new set of lungs that will bring you more sarcastic air, you don't have to wait too long :) Best wishes! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

     
  • At 10/25/2005 05:08:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    Oh Houston, yuck. I lived there for a year and it forced me to join the army. I'm not sure yet which was worse, the army or Houston...or Dubya. Had to add Dubya on my list of things I can't stand, you know how I feel Toast!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home