"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Just a thought

I swear I wasn't going to post a comment on Anna Nicole Smith; I'm pretty disgusted with the media hoopla in the aftermath of her passing. But now that she's finally been laid to rest, I couldn't help but wonder about the disagreement between her estranged mother, who wanted her to be buried in Texas, and others who correctly noted her wish to be buried next to her son Daniel in the Bahamas.

There is no dispute that Anna Nicole expressed clearly and publicly on several occasions that she wanted her final resting place to be next to her son. But Virgie Arthur does have a valid point in that friends and family will have to go through the hassle of getting a passport and making the trip to a foreign country in order to visit the grave.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the solution seemed pretty obvious to me: why not just dig up her son's coffin and bury them both side-by-side in Texas? That way everybody's wishes are honored. Of course, it's too late now, but did anyone consider this?

On a related topic, it's not often that I tend to agree with conservative columnist Cal Thomas, but he posted a piece last week where he correctly noted that America has become "a nation of gawkers" (article here). I diverge a bit, however, when he starts in with the nostalgic notion of "heroes" in our popular culture. I don't think that public fascination with Anna, Britney, Paris, and their ilk has that much to do with their portrayal in the media as so-called "anti-heroes"; rather, it's more the train wreck effect -- something to divert our collective minds from the depressing news of war and terrorism.

One has to wonder, "what's next?"

2 Comments:

  • At 3/04/2007 12:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What next? Only one thing is left! Anna Nicole is going to rise from the dead!

     
  • At 3/05/2007 04:12:00 PM, Blogger April said…

    The thing that gets under my skin, is that if I wanted to know all about Anna Nichole and all of that drama, I would watch E!, NOT CNN... CNN and MSNBC does not need to be covering Anna Nichole, there is more important things to report. If I wanted to know about why Brit shaved her head, I'd read "US" or watch "The Soup" It makes me mad when I turn to CNN and have to watch pop culture gossip instead of getting real world news.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home