"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Things are looking up

The sun has come out from behind the clouds, and happy days are here again; I just received the following message from Blogger:

"Your blog has been reviewed, verified, and cleared for regular use so that it will no longer appear as potential spam. If you sign out of Blogger and sign back in again, you should be able to post as normal. Thanks for your patience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused." (Note: there's that line again.) Hallelujah and thank you Blogger Team!

Incidentally, this makes me think of another of my favorite recorded corporate lines, one that I hear whenever I call virtually any major company's customer service number. It goes something like this:

"Thank you for calling The Big Ass Mega-Company. Your call is very important to us, because we care about our customers and are committed to solving any problem you might be having with our product. However we are experiencing unusually heavy call volume at this time, and as a result you may have an extended hold time of, oh i dunno, maybe the next eight or ten hours. You may wish to visit our web site instead, which will make it much easier for us to ignore you until your warranty expires. In the meantime, if you continue to remain on hold we'll play a distorted Barry Manilow song over and over again, which should make you become physically ill and hang up before we have to deal with you."

The funny thing about this is that they seem to be having "unusually heavy call volume" every single time you call them. So either this is not uncommon at all, and more like "business as usual", or else their product sucks so bad that everyone is calling to complain about it. Maybe both.

But on a more cheery note, I am getting a shiny new Toshiba laptop computer! Yessssss! And guess what ... it is not coming from Staples. I was nosing around the web today and happened upon the Circuit City site. When I last checked, their price on this machine (the exact same model I had been struggling to get from Staples) was $999 -- but this week it's marked down to $899 plus an additional $100 rebate, so my net price is the same. The best part is, it's actually in stock! What a concept! However, I still intend to write to my good buddy, Staples CEO Ronald L. Sargent, and let him know how badly his fulfillment team screwed up on this deal, causing me to take my business to the competition. I must do this, otherwise I would be required to forfeit my Professional Curmudgeon license which I have worked many years to achieve.

Life is good.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/23/2007 05:30:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOO-HOO on the brand new laptop!! I am glad you were able to find it elsewhere for the same price.

     
  • At 1/23/2007 10:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yippie! If I ever need a bargain hunter, I know where to look.

    BTW, I have a Toshiba something-or-other that I'm writing on right now. I like it, but the power cord is loose and falls out constantly, even when I'm not moving. Can't have loose holes, you know. Other than that, I love it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home