"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Monday, December 05, 2005

A few bad men

The trial of Saddam Hussein has resumed in Baghdad after a lengthy delay over security concerns and Saddam's claim that the tribunal has no jurisdiction over him. From the official transcript, this testimony:

Saddam: You want answers?

Jaafar Moussawi (chief prosecuting attorney): I think I'm entitled to them.

Saddam: You want answers?

Moussawi: I want the truth!

Saddam: You can't handle the truth!...Son, we live in a world that has Kurds, and those Kurds have to be killed by men with mustard gas. Who's gonna do it?... You? Some Jew named Weinberg?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the Kurds and you curse the Baath Party. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that gassing those Kurds to death, while tragic, probably put me in the lead in Laurence Simon's Dead Pool. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps President Bush OUT of the lead in Laurence Simon's Dead Pool.

You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to gas Kurds... you need me to gas Kurds.

I use words like mass murder, slaughter, genocide. I use these words as the backbone of a life spent killing people. You use them as a criminal charge.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who will make a fortune selling the movie rights to the story of this trial and then questions the manner in which I killed the Kurds that made this trial possible! I would rather you just said "Allah Akbar!" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up some mustard gas and kill some Kurds. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Moussawi: Did you gas those Kurds?

Saddam: (quietly) I did what I needed to do to get ahead in Laurence Simon's Dead Pool.

Moussawi: Did you gas those Kurds?

Saddam: YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!


- - -


PS: This blog strives to be fair: I don't know the author of the above, or I would credit them. It isn't me, but I have a sneaky suspicion that whoever it is has some ties to Laurence Simon's Dead Pool.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/06/2005 01:26:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    I saw clips of the trial on the news last night and Saddam made the whole thing look really disorganized. It was almost like he didn't know why he was up there and he was shouting "Long live Iraq" or something crazy like that...The man is truely insane.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home