"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Stupid Toast Tricks

When I began this blog waaaaaaay back, er, last month (it seems like longer), I had some initial trouble figuring out what to call it. The original name I dreamed up was "The Toasted Times", with the word "toasted" in this context intended to mean "strange", "twisted", "odd", "bizarre", etc. I was all set to run with this concept until I happened to mention it to a few of my friends, and every one of them had the first impression of "toasted" as implying a drug reference. This should give you an idea of the caliber of low-life, degenerate scum I hang out with. Still, heaven forbid that I should (even inadvertently) promote the recreational use of controlled substances to any young, impressionable minds who might read this blog - even if such shameful activities have been made into a "hit" (get it?) musical on Showtime. Whoa, like far out, man.

OK, what was I talking about? Damn that short-term memory loss. And I seem to have the munchies, too. Oh yeah, Mr. Toast. That was a logical nom de plume considering the original blog name, and I didn't see any reason to change it once this opus became "WiTW", especially since by that time I had already made a couple of entries under the Toast moniker. So try to imagine, if you will, my surprise and amusement today, weeks later, as I'm noodling about the Internet and discover a cartoon character who inhabits The Imaginary World of Mr. Toast. Golly-Bob, who'da thunk it? At this point you may be wondering, as I certainly did, just how many wacky adventures a grilled slice of bread can have. The answer, apparently, is "more than we could possibly imagine", as creator Dan Goodsell has been drawing this strip on a weekly basis since at least February of 2004. The humor is somewhat, shall we say, oblique - here's a sample:


Interesting. What does it mean? Hell, I don't have the slightest idea. It ain't Dagwood & Blondie, that's for sure, but it is rather creative and strange, and I do admire those qualities in just about anything. So maybe I'll adopt this little guy as my unofficial mascot. At least I can say "been there, done that, got the T-Shirt to prove it".

1 Comments:

  • At 11/08/2005 10:56:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    Looking at the cartoon makes me laugh a bit. You don't know weather the green stuff came from the candle or if "Mr. Toast" is just supposed to throw himself down and cover up in it. To me, that's something I would find in my hallway thanks to my cat that, for some reason, can not resist to drink a shit load of water right after she eats.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home