"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stage Two: In which, amazingly, I manage to not saw off a finger

The Great Cornhole Set Construction continues in the Toasted Woodshop, with much visible progress to report today. I was able to cut up the 1x4's without losing any of my digits (no small accomplishment, if you've ever seen me at work) and then glue and pin the frames together as in the pictures below:


Once the play board is attached to the frame, I will have what is known as a set of "naked" (i.e., unfinished) targets, very much like you see here:


Even in their present raw condition, these boards might fetch $60-80 on eBay or Craigslist, plus perhaps another $50 or so to ship them. Of course, the real value comes in the finishing touches, which is to say the quality and artistry of the paint job. Some of these can be extremely elaborate, such as these or this one. This is one reason why the sport fascinates me so much in addition to the simple gamesmanship of it; I love how people express their creativity by giving their homemade boards real personality. College and major league sports logos are also a popular theme, not just in board design but in the bags as well, such as these for example.

However, as my artistic ability is rather limited, I'm going to opt instead for a simple two-color geometric design, with perhaps a pinstripe if I'm feeling especially bold by the time we get to that point. They won't be fancy, but I still think they're going to look nice.

You know, it just occurred to me that since I seem to be getting a lot of blog mileage out of these Cornhole posts, maybe I should have signed up for NaBloPoMo again this year after all. At this rate, there's at least another half-dozen photos I could still take and post yet. Or maybe not, as I'm sure many of you would get sick of reading about it and find other sites for your regular dose of sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek humor. But more importantly, my big project will be on hiatus for the rest of the week as Mrs. Toast and I want to get out of town for Thanksgiving, and we have decided to spend the holiday in ... Arkansas.

Yes, I hear you: "Arkansas?", you ask, somewhat incredulously. "You must be kidding. Why Arkansas?"

To which I say: "why the hell not?"

It has nothing to do with family; neither of us have any relatives there. Neither is there any job-related reason for us to visit the Natural State, nor does it involve Bill and/or Hillary Clinton in any way. Wait a moment, come to think of it, there actually is sort of a very loose connection to Bill...

But, we leave in the morning, and I'll tell you all about it after we get there and settle in to our digs. Don't you just love a cliffhanger?

2 Comments:

  • At 11/20/2007 08:15:00 PM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    Have fun in Arkansas! I'm sure there are lots of sights and...CORNHOLE! Sorry, I had one more left in me that had to get out.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Toasts!

     
  • At 11/26/2007 06:51:00 PM, Blogger Chandira said…

    I'm not asking what the connection to Bill is.. But if your mind is like mine, I can guess..

    ROFLMAO... I'm sorry. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home