"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Monday, August 06, 2007

Mrs. Toast Went To Mexico (and all I got was this lousy paper hat)


Fetching, wouldn't you say? As if it isn't bad enough that I have had the Bloggin' Blues for much too long now, my dear jet-setting spouse has been flitting all over the globe, only adding to my stay-at-home, do-nothing funkiness. Yes, following her fun-filled vacation in Venice just a couple of months ago, Mrs. Toast just returned from a business trip to Cuernavaca, Mexico, where she was part of a group from the University sent to study the culture and folklore of the area in order for the library to develop international programs for high school and college teachers to enrich their social studies cirriculum. But of course, like any business trip it wasn't all work and no play -- she also picked up all sorts of cool trinkets like these:



But while the shopping was lots of fun, unfortunately for Mrs. Toast, she reported that she and her group were forced to stay in horrible third-world accommodations such as this:



Er, at least that's what she said -- frankly, it doesn't look so bad to me. Maybe she was just trying to make me feel better about being left at home. They also have some strange road signs down in Mexico, for example:


I believe the one above, loosely translated, means: "Caution: Loch Ness Monster ahead in road."

She also got to enjoy all sorts of tasty treats like those from the candy store pictured to your right. The "$" stands for pesos, and with the exchange rate each of those yummy sugar bombs are about 89 cents apiece.

Did I mention that this was a business trip, in which the library footed the entire bill for an entourage of five people to spend a week visiting craft centers, historical sites, girl scout camps and other locations to interview Mexican artists and craftsmen, and photograph various objects for the interactive web site the University has made? If you're wondering "how can I get a job like this?" -- sorry, you're too late. I've already asked Mrs. Toast that question and have dibs on the next available opening.

Oh yes, and I should point out the significance of the Krispy Kreme hat is that at one point during their tour, the group stopped at a donut shop just outside of Mexico City and bought about humpteen boxes of them to take back to their hotel room. Seriously, with the value of the dollar versus the peso, a delicious glazed cruller was like six cents each. This may not be the first thing that comes to your mind when you think "Mexican food", but hey ... they were in Mexico, and it was food, so that's plenty authentic enough. For some reason this particular K.K. was giving away free hats, so everybody in the party got one and Mrs. Toast brought one back for me too. (I would have preferred the cruller, but I don't think it would have survived the return trip nearly as well.)

On her next international adventure coming up in October, the library is sending the group to Toronto, Canada. I'm not exactly sure of the cultural significance of this trip yet, but I hope she brings back more local souvenirs from there too. A case of Molson would be nice, eh?

"DoNut" subestime la energía del Kreme.

5 Comments:

  • At 8/06/2007 10:17:00 PM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    My library sucks! I never get to go anywhere!

     
  • At 8/07/2007 08:38:00 PM, Blogger Janelle said…

    You look like a stallion in that K.K. hat, the amazing road sign held my attention a good ten minutes, and if Mrs. Toast does not want to go on the next trip because of the awful conditions of the hotel/motel I will substitute for her. From the pictures you would assume that she had a blast. Oh, Brandi told me to send you a big HELLO.

     
  • At 8/08/2007 08:40:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    Why thank you, what a nice thing to say! Although, the last time I felt anything like a "stallion", was, er, sometime in 1995 or '96, I believe. :(

    Thanks for passing on the word from Brandi, I hope she's doing well. I'll bet Carson must be getting to be quite the little man by now. Please give Brandi my best wishes and tell her she needs to start her blog back up!

     
  • At 8/10/2007 09:09:00 PM, Blogger April said…

    Looks like Mrs. T. had a fun-filled trip. That road sign is wicked, a little dramatic don't you think? That hat is amazing, its one of those "goes with everything" kind of pieces that completes any mans wardrobe.

     
  • At 6/25/2022 08:53:00 AM, Anonymous Agatha Pace said…

    Thanks for writinng this

     

Post a Comment

<< Home