"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Friday, February 16, 2007

Peter Pan Man

For anyone who may not have heard:
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning consumers not to eat certain jars of Peter Pan peanut butter or Great Value peanut butter due to risk of contamination with Salmonella Tennessee (a bacterium that causes foodborne illness). The affected jars of Peter Pan and Great Value peanut butter have a product code located on the lid of the jar that begins with the number "2111." Both the Peter Pan and Great Value (Wal-Mart) brands are manufactured in a single facility in Georgia by ConAgra. Great Value peanut butter made by other manufacturers is not affected. If consumers have any of this Peter Pan or Great Value brand peanut butter in their home that has been purchased since May 2006, they should discard it.
Links:
FDA warning
ConAgra Foods press release and update
More news here.

I am a confirmed Peanut Butter addict, and Peter Pan Extra Crunchy is my favorite. So, we were a bit surprised to find three jars of the stuff with this product code in our pantry, especially considering that I just had a PB sandwich this afternoon. However, it's now several hours later and I feel fine, so I'm not too worried. Nevertheless, our local grocery store is offering refunds on any product brought back to them, so I guess we'll take them up on it just to be safe. I should also probably drink lots of alcohol this evening, strictly for medicinal purposes of course, to kill any possible germs that might be lurking in my system. Hey, why take any chances?

Shit, it's always something.

5 Comments:

  • At 2/16/2007 09:10:00 PM, Blogger April said…

    I'm glad you didn't get poisoned :)

    What DOESN'T have Salmonella now-a-days... seriously, not a cool trend if you ask me.

    You're an Extra Crunchy kind of guy? Here I had you pegged for a creamy kind of guy :) Thats my favorite... Jiff Creamy.

     
  • At 2/17/2007 01:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I eat peanut butter BY THE SPOONFULS. Which is why I was very happy to see this article. Unfortunately it doesn't mention anything about peanut butter mixed with chocolate chips like I'm most fond of. Sheesh.

     
  • At 2/17/2007 06:12:00 PM, Blogger Daisy Martin said…

    Peter Pan is my fav too. Must have been due to growing up watching their commercials.

    I figure I've personally downed about 4 jars of the stuff in the last 6 months, and no ill effects unless you count an occasional bit of gas.

     
  • At 2/17/2007 08:12:00 PM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    Excellent! Thanks for the article, 'Coo - that was good news. I think I survived one year at college eating nothing but peanut butter and pizza (not together, although ... why not?) so maybe I was on to something even way back then.

    Anyone else have the "tainted" 2111 product code? I'm happy to say the bourbon killed any germs and other than a slight hangover this morning, I feel fine. :)

     
  • At 2/18/2007 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Sphincter said…

    Thank goodness you were able to combat the possible ill effects with home remedies, Mr. Toast.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home