"Madame, bear in mind That princes govern all things--save the wind." -Victor Hugo, The Infanta's Rose

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Just a-lookin' for a name

OK, now that I'm here, the first order of business is to pick a name for this puppy. This is an exercise that I'm sure anyone who has started an online journal before has gone through. Sure, maybe some folks have pet names they've nursed all their lives, or something that's been revealed to them in a blinding flash of inspiration. But I haven't been feeling particularly inspired lately so I'm stuck searching for a name that's unique, clever, memorable, but not too damn cutesy. None of the names I've thought of so far really click. I've gone from banal ("Bob's Blog") to oblique ("The Electric Pillow"). I originally was going to call it "The Toasted Times", but the more I thought about it...ehhhh. I live in East Texas where there's lots of pine trees so maybe "The Pine Tree Times", "Journal O'The Pines" or "Behind The Pine Curtain" might work. Dunno. I suspect musicians go through this sort of thing when they first get together and try to come up with a name for their band.

Anyway, knowing that far greater minds than mine are out there, I thought I would use this first post to ask for input. Does anyone like any of the names I've thought of so far, or care to offer a suggestion? I've found a couple of random blog name generators online, like this one but the results have been pretty lame ("Empty Confessions"? Sounds more like a soap opera.) Then there's this site that generates a name based on a single word input. And my blog identity crisis is evidently not an uncommon occurance, as this guy has tried the same approach. ("Birth of A Notion"? "Grump Up The Volume"? I don't think so.)

So please, suggest ... something. Anthing. And if this blog goes on to achieve international acclaim, you will feel the thrill of knowing that YOU helped christen it. Now wouldn't that be more satisfying than a lousy royalty check?

1 Comments:

  • At 10/10/2005 09:21:00 AM, Blogger Mr. Toast said…

    Here I am commenting on my own post. Ha! Well since this was written, I've decided on "Wind In The Wire" as the name for this opus. The name came to me as I was drifting off to sleep last night, and I've decided that since I still like it this morning when I'm (more or less) fully awake, I'm gonna go with it. I'm still open to suggestions though, so if you have any ideas please leave a comment. Thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home